Tuesday 1 March 2011

Yukky Darr! or It's St David's day Today!

I apologise up front to those'real Welsh people'amongst my readership,of who i know of only ONE at present!So OZ don't be offended if you are Welsh and i'm pretty sure you're not judging by your accent,which is more Geordie i reccon or possibly Tyne Tees?and of course all this points to the fact that I have'nt got a clue about Geography,language or other peoples sensitivity to how they feel about where they are from, because i have'nt even asked them!What i do know is,is that i had a Welsh grandfather who was from Newport in Gwent and i have passed through their on numerous occasions en route to Shropshire and have always thought of him when doing so.I always also like being in Wales when i go their,most recently to Laugharne in South Wales where Dylan Thomas had lived and indeed is buried with wife Caitlin.
The Hills and mountains of wales have always resonated with me of the atmosphere of time,history,battles for boarders and general ambience,something about them.
Where am i going with this i ask myself?Well all these memories really,one's personal history and ancestory,ones own mortality and how this history brings bearing to sense of self.This is prudent, in so much as i have recently had another of my birthday celebrations and have reflected on where i am from and what this has meant to me as time has passed and on St david's Day i have thought. That i was born in Malvern from where you can see the Welsh mountains on a clear day and from where my welsh Grandad passed his day's and that these reflections are important to me and those of you who are concerned with their heritage and their history and indeed with where we are from?

No comments:

Post a Comment